Santa Anita Bonsai Society
A community dedicated to the study and appreciation of the ancient art of Bonsai.
Bonsai NotebookCome to the April meeting and meet first time guest, Ryan Nichols. Although Ryan is relatively new to bonsai, his background in horticulture and recent bonsai accomplishments will make for an entertaining evening. Ryan earned a degree in Ornamental Horticulture at Cal Poly Pomona in 2010. He followed that with a master’s degree in Plant Biology, and currently teaches in the Plant Science Department at Cal Poly. He met and began studying bonsai with Ryan Neil as well as other teachers in the area. Ryan won the “Joshua Roth/ American Bonsai Society New Talent” competition at last October’s GSBF convention. He was invited to teach at the Bonsai School at Lake Merritt, applying his knowledge of plant roots to bonsai care. Ryan founded “Back To The Roots Bonsai” in Riverside where he consults and maintains a nursery specializing in bonsai material. He will do a tree styling demonstration for us focusing on design, and I’m sure he will include thoughts on bonsai care. Be sure to join us in April. Photo by: P. Macasieb Meeting Time And Place: April 11, 2015 at 7pm LAC Arboretum/ Palm Room Board Meeting at 6pm prior to regular meeting - All members welcome
President’s CornerThis month I’ve dedicated this space for the following GSBF scholarship flyer: The Harry Hirao Annual Scholarship INTRODUCTION The purpose of the Harry Hirao Annual Scholarship (HHAS) is to provide a onetime grant of $1,500.00 to a worthy bonsai enthusiast. This money must be used for educational purposes in the art of bonsai within one year of receiving the scholarship. The recipient cannot use these funds to acquire: bonsai, pots, tools, books, or other physical items; it is to be used to further education in bonsai by studying with a recognized bonsai artist. APPLICATION An application must be submitted no later than midnight on July 15 to receive consideration. The application is to be submitted to the Editor of the Golden Statements designate George Haas, 707-762-9154, email [email protected]. The application must include, at a minimum, the following information:
- Name, address, phone number, and e-mail address of the applicant.
- Primary bonsai club and club membership history.
- How many years of bonsai experience.
- In 500 words or less, applicant will describe their bonsai educational goals and why they should receive the HHAS.
- A brief description of how the funds will be used, and the person with whom the applicant will study.
- If awarded the HHAS, applicant agrees that all funds awarded will be expended prior to the following annual convention.
- Applicant will cooperate with and submit at least one article to the Golden Statements describing activities while using the HHAS funds, such as: demonstrations, workshops conducted or lectures given, and other actions with the bonsai teacher that increase skill and knowledge of bonsai. The deadline for submission of this article is July 20 following receipt of the scholarship.
- Verification by the applicant’s Club President of member in good standing with a GSBF Club.
March Meeting HighlightsOur scheduled guest was unable to attend the March meeting, but we managed to have a worthwhile learning experience with the help of members. A number of us brought trees for the planned critique. Peter Macasieb talked briefly about the trees he brought with grafted juniper foliage. The trees were very healthy, with an abundance of branches ready for their first styling. Ken Teh took over and critiqued each of the trees that members brought. He provided valuable advice on tree design and development. All of us who brought trees went home with excellent ideas and plans to work with. Listening and watching as Ken talked about each tree was a great lesson for all in attendance. Our thanks to Ken for stepping in and helping us salvage the meeting. As usual, we had great refreshments and social time, and a good collection of bonsai items on the raffle table. All in all, an enjoyable evening with good bonsai friends. Photos: Dave Miles
Thank you to March Raffle DonorsJim Barrett, Jerry Banuelos, Tom Freeman, Bill & Lois Hutchinson, Emma Janza. Dave Miles, Paul Terhune
What’s NewNew badges are available for all who renew their SABS membership for 2015. Contact Dave to have yours made.
Upcoming EventsApril 25-26 — San Diego Bonsai Club 50th Anniversary Spring Show
- 10 am to 5 pm & demonstrations at 11 am and 1 pm both days, at Casa Del Prado, Room 101, Balboa Park bonsai related items on sale
- 9 am to 4 pm and demonstrations at 11 am and 1:30 pm each day, in Van De Kamp Hall, Descanso Gardens, 1418 Descanso Drive, La Canada Flintridge Reception on Sat. 6 pm to 7 pm with raffle at 8 pm Bonsai trees, pots and accessories on sale. Events free with garden admission.
Next MeetingDate: April 11 2015 Time: 7pm Location: LAC Arboretum, Palm Room 301 N. Baldwin Ave Arcadia, Ca 91007 Board Meeting at 6pm prior to regular meeting - All members welcome
2015 Monthly Meeting DatesApril 11 – Ryan Nichols May 9 – Bob Pressler
2015 Refreshment ScheduleApril: J Gutierrez, P Macasieb, E Janza May: M Atkison, D Miles, E Janza