Santa Anita Bonsai Society Members,
Hello, and best wishes to all of you as we continue to wait out this virus situation. I truly hope you are all safe and well.
As expected, our Memorial Day weekend show has been cancelled by the Arboretum, based on L.A. County orders. Given that, we will move forward with a “virtual” show as I outlined in my previous letter. It is important that we work together and continue to share our love of the art of bonsai.
The plan is to have our Virtual Show posted on the club website at www.sabonsai.org on May 30. All members are invited to take a digital picture of their tree or trees with a smart phone or digital camera and email them to our webmaster Robert Sencer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Robert will put the pictures together in a format viewable on our website for all of us to enjoy.
The show will not be judged. I hope we will use the opportunity to share our favorite trees with each other without some of the stresses that go along with a judged, live show. Our theme this year is “conifer trees”, so show them if you have them. However, as always, share any variety of trees you wish.
Here are some guidelines:
- Try and set up a neutral colored background behind your tree.
- Use a display stand if possible, but not required.
- No accent plant necessary; we want to see the tree.
- Avoid photographing in direct sunlight; the sun can wash out the photo.
- Just take a picture on your phone or camera and send it to Robert and he will work his magic.
- Email your picture(s) along with your name and tree variety to email@example.com.
- Send pictures of as many trees as you wish.
- Deadline for email submissions is Thursday, May 28.
If you want to enter a tree but need help with taking the photo and/or sending the email, contact me at 909-519-5391 (Dave’s mobile) and we will arrange help.
This will be a new and different way to present our show, but also a new opportunity for everyone to participate. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Lorraine & I via my mobile phone or email address at LMiles6455@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing your trees.