Bring Your Trees Critique
Photos by Michael Jonas
Our May meeting featured a critique of trees by Peter Macasieb. Harry Hirao was unable to make it as our May demonstrator, so I want to thank Peter for stepping in and doing the critique. One of the trees Peter examined was a group planing of ginko trees by Emma Janza. As it turned out Emma entered the group planing in our show and won the “Best Theme Tree: award. The critique was a success!
Peter Macasieb studies Emma Janza’s forest.
Best Theme Tree (Forest)
Ginko by Emma Janza
Frank Yee tells everyone how his wife taught him to say “Yes Dear” (his juniper awaits a critique by Peter).
| President’s Corner
Our annual show has been a success as of this writing! the winning trees entered in the judging are:
Best Judged Shohin
Best Judged Tree
Grafted Itoigawa Shimpaku
by Peter Macasieb
21st Century Award
by Dick Ryerson
Congratulations to all who showed trees this year. I hope everyone saw the show and were encouraged to put in a tree next year.
Thank you to Marge Blasingame for all that she does for our show. We’d be lost without her. The club also thanks our show judge, Jim Barrett, whose expertise is so valuable and irreplaceable, and Marilyn Tyler, who once again provided our awards including the 21st Century award that she began last year. Thanks to all who helped set up and take down and all who helped as docents and to those who provided items for the sales table. It takes help from our members to make it happen, and I appreciate the efforts of all.
2013 SABS MEETING CALENDAR
- June 8: Fred Miyahara / Refreshments: D. Ryerson, J. Anthony, B. Ahlstrom, D. Miles
- July 13: Short Demo & Social @ Peter Macasieb’s house / Refreshments: Provided by Club
- August 10: Short Demo & Social @ Steve & Judy Anthony’s house / Refreshments: Provided by Club
- September 14: TBD / Refreshments: K. Teh, E. Chacon, J. Anthony, M. Jonas
- October 12: TBD / Refreshments: P. Macasieb, F. Yee, M. Blasingame
- November 9: TBD / Refreshments: D. Miles, J. Cervantes, D. Teague, E. Janza
- No Meeting in December
SABS MEETING REMINDER
July 8, 2013 at LA Arboretum
- Demo by Fred Miyahara at 7pm
San Diego bonsai artist Fred Miyahara is owner of Fred A. Miyahara Bonsai & Design. He is regarded as one of the best black pine experts in Southern California, and has served as curator of the Japanese Friendship Garden in Balboa Park.
- June 15-16: Descanso Bonsai Society Annual Show